Connect with us

Football

Jurgen Klopp: No Trophy Guarantees After Spending £245m

Published

on

Liverpool have spent NGN116.2bn (£245m) in the last 12 months on transfers alone.

Though the club sold Philippe Coutinho for £142m to Barcelona in January; it has spent far more on record signings for the most expensive defender and goalkeeper in history.

Dutch defender, Van Dijk joined Liverpool in January 2018

Dutch centre-back, Virgil Van Dijk joined from Southampton in January 2018 for record fee of NGN35.5bn (£75m)

Brazil’s Alisson joins Liverpool on world record breaking deal for a goalkeeper

Brazil international goalkeeper, Alisson switched to Anfield in July in a deal worth NGN31.7bn (£66.8m)

Naby Keita, Guinea international from RB Leipzig for NGN23.7bn (£50m); Brail midfielder, Fabinho from Monaco in a deal worth NGN18.9bn (£40m); and Swiss international, Xherdan Shaqiri who joined from Stoke City after the World Cup for NGN6bn (£13m).

Despite these high transfers, manager, Jurgen Klopp is not certain the club can win the league.

Klopp though assures that the there is 100% ambition in the team and the players.

“I know about the expectations and that is completely normal,” Klopp said.

“We have the highest ambitions – 100%.”

With Liverpool’s last league win been in 1990, Kops fans will be expectant for another glory, especially after series of loses and near successes on the domestic and continental scenes.

Under Klopp alone, Liverpool have lost three cup finals including the Champions League defeat to Real Madrid in 2018; League Cup and Europa League final loses in his first season in 2015.

The 51-year-old is not ignorant of the fans hunger for trophies, an ambition which he responds to, saying: “It is the next step and we need to be ready for that.

“I cannot give guarantees here but I understand if people think that.

“First of all, we have to play the football that gives us an opportunity to win something. We cannot talk about winning something before we start the season.”

The two-time Champions League finalist is confident the club can be on last season’s performance where they finished fourth – their best finish since he took over.

“I am confident we can build on last season,” he added.

“The football the boys played last year was not easy. There was a lot of work invested into playing like that. That’s what we will do again. I am not in doubt about our basis or that we will reach it again.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Football

Carlo Ancelotti left Everton to become head coach of Real Madrid for a second time

Published

on

By

The 61-year-old Italian, who oversaw Real Madrid for a very long time somewhere in the range of 2013 and 2015, has left Everton following year and a half in control at Goodison Park.

He succeeds Zinedine Zidane at Real and the move leaves Everton looking for a 6th perpetual supervisor in five years.

Ancelotti has marked a three-year bargain at Real and said the move addressed “an unforeseen chance”.

He added: “I have total regard for everybody related with Everton and expectation they can accomplish the energizing chances they have before them.

“While I have appreciated being at Everton I have been given a startling chance which I accept is the correct move for me and my family as of now.”

Genuine will introduce Ancelotti to the media on Wednesday, while Everton said they “will start the way toward selecting another supervisor right away”.

Everton will have been left paralyzed by the speed of advancements just now as proprietor Farhad Moshiri’s “Hollywood” chief leaves.

Ancelotti’s appearance was viewed as a genuine upset by Moshiri, convincing one of the game’s generally enriched and regarded figures to come to Merseyside to reestablish Everton to previous wonders.

The 61-year-old’s rule has been a mishmash with loathsome home structure offset by results like their first success over Liverpool at Anfield since 1999 – in any case a tenth spot finish in his first full season was a failure.

Ancelotti, in any case, was as yet held in immense respect by Everton allies, who have been left sharply disillusioned by his choice to withdraw.

The fierce truth is that for all Moshiri’s money and aspiration, Everton actually can’t view themselves as anyplace close to the first class, which consistently makes them helpless against clubs, for example, Real Madrid setting sights on their prize resources.

The typical suspects are being connected, for example, Eddie Howe after he turned down Celtic, previous Wolves supervisor Nuno Espirito Santo and ex-Everton manager David Moyes – albeit that is probably not going to occur after he verbally concurred a three-year bargain at West Ham in the wake of bringing them into Europe. Moshiri, however, is something of a special case and may have thoughts of his own.

Continue Reading

Football

Ahmed Musa to play without monthly salary at Kano Pillars

Published

on

By

Ahmed Musa won’t be paid in his short stretch at Kano Pillars in the Nigeria Premier Football League.

Musa, 28, finished paperwork for the four-time Nigerian heroes under the Elite Players Program of the League Management Company, which urges top Nigerian internationals to play for neighborhood clubs.

As indicated by LMC manager Shehu Dikko, the program works twoly.

A club can distinguish and sign such players, or the LMC itself can sign the player and appoint them to a club of their decision.

It was the last for Musa.

“We addressed him about returning home to play, and as somebody who is consistently prepared to offer in return, he didn’t stop for a second,” Dikko told ESPN.

“When the arrangement was marked, the decision of which club to play for was up to him. Various clubs needed him. We put everything before him and he settled on the choice to go to Kano Pillars.”

Musa has been a free specialist since October 2020, when he left Saudi Arabia’s Al Nassr, with whom he won the Saudi Pro League title and Super Cup in the wake of going along with them from Leicester City in 2018.

Continue Reading

AFCON

Super Eagle Teslim Balogun Stadium Training Camp Adhere To COVID-19 Protocols Ahead Of Lesotho Clash

Published

on

By

 

The Super Eagles will hold their last exercise at the Teslim Balogun Stadium in Surulere, Lagos on Monday evening, beginning from 1800 hours.

Their last instructional meeting which will be administered by director Gernot Rohr is available to the media for just the initial fifteen minutes, at that point everybody will be compelled to leave the arena.

No columnist will be permitted into the arena when the Lesotho public group have a vibe of the Teslim Balogun Stadium turf because of COVID-19 conventions set up.

Besides, there will be no authority pre-match public interview because of the Covid pandemic.

The Super Eagles players and authorities were up toward the end of last night since they had to go to an occasion out of appreciation for Nigerian Federation president Amaju Pinnick following his political decision into the esteemed FIFA board.

Nigeria are ensured to top Group L of the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers paying little heed to the result of their last match against Lesotho as they are as of now on 11 focuses, four more than the Republic of Benin, who are second in the standings.

Continue Reading

Trending