Posterity will forever remember the incident involving Ghana’s president Nana Akufo-Addo and France’s Emmanuel Macron.
During a press conference in Accra with the French president, Ghana’s Nana Akufo-Addo not only shocked the French president but the world in general. His rising tone and demeanour demonstrating his passion forced the French president to unconsciously ‘wrestle’ the microphone with him.
President Nana Akufo-Addo was informing the world that Africa has awoken from its slumber. He stressed the need for Africa to refuse foreign aid and dependence.
The French president and the world were surprised that such words could come out of Africa.
“We have to get away from this mindset of dependency. This mindset about ‘what can France do for us? France will do whatever it wants to do for its own sake, and when those coincide with ours, ‘tant mieux’ [so much better] as the French people say.
“Our concern should be what we need to do in this 21st century to move Africa away from being a cap in hand and begging for aid for charity and for handouts. The African continent has resources and should be giving aids to other continents. We need to have a mindset that says we can do it and once we have that mindset, we’ll see there’s a liberating factor for ourselves.”
Nana Akufo-Addo was right in many parts of his speech, and indeed Africa has awoken. We may not be there yet, but we are beginning to get it right.
Below are ten things that prove Africa is getting it right:
- African leaders are beginning to speak out against neo-colonialism
- Foreigners are being prosecuted for the crimes in Africa by African courts
- Gender equality is on the rise in many African countries
- Africans are excelling in various fields both home and abroad
- More successful African entrepreneurs are emerging by the day
- Africans are standing up to racism heads on
- Pan Africanism is gaining colossal acceptance
- African music and movies are making global dominance
- Africans are questioning the status quo, and activism is on the rise
- Africans are embracing education
What are your thoughts?